Custom Electromagnets and Coils
Stangenes Industries simulates, designs, manufactures, and tests a variety of AC, DC, and pulsed electromagnets. These range from high-precision DC focusing and steering magnets to pulsed coils operating at 300kA, and generate fields as high as 40T. We manufacture a variety of electromagnetic products to meet our clients’ numerous application requirements, including water and air-cooled, wire wound, and foil wound electromagnets. These electromagnets can be constructed with either copper or aluminum windings which enable a variety of weight to power output ratios.
Economical to build in low quantities, our wire wound electromagnets enable affordable prototyping for experimental applications. Our foil wound electromagnets are economical to build in larger quantities and offer extremely high winding precision. Unlike wire wound coils, foil wound coils can be machined to accommodate special mounting or access needs.
3D FEA simulations are performed in house to predict and optimize the various field parameters. These designs are analyzed with and approved by the client
before being fabricated.
Our water-cooling schemes are optimized for efficient generation of high fields with tight volume and power constraints. Our water-cooled and air-cooled magnets are designed for long lifetimes and 24/7 duty operation. For more information about any of our premium electromagnets, please contact Stangenes Industries today!
- Industry Standards
International Organization for Standardization
- General Information
- Dipole, quadruple, sextuple, corrector, bending, and solenoid electromagnets
- Wire, hollow conductor, and foil conductors in both copper and aluminum
- Paper, film, fiberglass, b-stage, varnish, and vacuum epoxy casting insulation
- Air cooling and/or liquid cooling using water or oil running through hollow conductor, cooling loops, or cooling plates allowing current densities as high as 15 A/mm2
- 2D & 3D field modeling, thermal, mechanical stress, and fluid flow analysis capabilities
- Axial & transverse magnetic field, hi-pot, ring, turns-ratio, pressure and flow testing capabilities
Stangenes Industries can design, fabricate, and test a wide variety of coils and electromagnets, from precision low current DC focusing magnets to pulsed coils operating at 300kA generating fields as high as 40T.
- Wire Wound Electromagnets
- Economical to build in low quantities
- Shortest first-unit delivery time
- Built from standard materials, utilizing standard tooling
- Enables affordable prototyping for experimental applications
- Successfully serves a broad range of applications
- Flexible options for heat dissipation
Copper or optional aluminum windings enable a variety of weight to power output ratios.
Hollow tubes are built into the coil to provide a liquid cooling layer. Depending on power consumption and duty cycles, cooling may be unnecessary, or provided/supplemented by forced air.
Square or rectangular wire options enable reduced power requirements over round wire.
- Foil Wound Electromagnets
- Extremely high winding precision
- Highest field accuracy with lowest transverse field
- Highest fill and packing factor, yielding highest field to weight ratio
- Economical to build in larger quantities
- Most compact weight and space-saving configuration
- Most flexible configuration in shape and size
- “Sculptable” for slots and holes
- Vastly improved heat dissipation
A super-thin insulation layer between foil windings allows fill factors (compactness) unavailable from wire or hollow-tube windings.
Foil also spreads current more evenly throughout each coil.
Unlike wire wound, foil coils can be cut or sculpted to accommodate special mounting or access needs. The current path is largely undisturbed, and the impact on the magnetic field is minimal.
Construction in “coil sets” (rather than a single large coil) lowers build costs and enhances field accuracy and predictability.
Copper, aluminum or combination windings enable customized coil sizes and power to weight ratios.
Foil construction has high thermal conductance, enabling cooling to occur in layers between windings.
- Hollow Tube Electromagnets
- Best for “brute strength” applications requiring high power (20kG and greater)
- Coaxial coolant path in direct contact with entire coil length
- Highest thermal conductance delivers maximum heat dissipation
- Extremely malleable into complex or unusual shapes
Liquid coolant flows through the entire coil length inside the hollow tube centers. This allows greater winding heat transfer than any other construction method, enabling the highest field strengths with extremely low temperature rise.
Non-conductive tubing carries coolant without impacting the magnetic field pattern.
Stangenes design routes cooling liquid in parallel, despite the necessary series path for coil current. Each coil set receives fresh incoming coolant at the same temperature.
Positive isolation of turns eliminates shorting, allowing low AC losses.
Extreme flexibility and malleability enables electromagnets of nearly any shape, including racetrack, thin pancake, open yoke, and much more.